Weight Loss Ticker

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Week 8 - The Scale is a Fickle Friend

Wow, I've completed week 8! That'sa really good milestone, I am on my way for sure.  It doesn't hurt to have some great motivation this week:  I lost 4.5lbs!

Of course, I realize that is a crazy number, and I'll probably gain some of that back (I already was up 1lb today), but it sure feels good - especially after the .5 loss last week.  And you know, it hasn't been that difficult. Yeah, I have had my moments, but for the most part, I cannot complain.  Two weeks of the 8 were spent on vacation - and you know you can't be very good when you are on vacation.  Just last Saturday night I had a cheeseburger for dinner and several glasses of wine.  If I can maintain those types of lifestyle choices, and still lose 1lb a week, I will definitely be able to make my goal.

Don't get me wrong, there have been sacrifices too.  Getting up at 5:20 AM every morning still feels difficult as the first morning.  I don't think I would have done it if it weren't for my bf Dawna meeting me.  It has been 4 weeks this week, so I'm hoping that something will kick in that will make it more of a habit, less of a strugle for me.  I need that before school starts when I'll need to wake up even earlier - closer to 5 AM.

So, that brings me to my other goals.  My exercise step goals, biking and weights, were not acheived again this week.  I have decided to back off and concentrate on achieving my first goal, which was to get a daily burn of 2500 calories. I came close this week - 2495!  This was mainly due to taking additional walks at lunch on Tuesday and Thursday.  I will try to fit those in more regularly.  I also am going to try to start doing a Jillian Michaels dvd a few times a week.

My food goals were more modest, I wanted to keep with the logging, and I did that.  I didn't keep to my alcohol goal :-(   I over indulged in wine on Saturday night, and I did not resist the urge to have 2 light beers on Friday night, so well over the 2 drink limit.  However, they were within my calorie goals, and I had an average calorie intake of 1221 calories.  Adding a 10% fudge factor, that's a 1343 calories, but still a deficit of 1k a day! 

I wanted to muse a bit about the scale.  I weigh myself every day, and I know many diet experts tell you not to do that, but it's something that works for me.  If I'm trending well or poorly, it gives me that heads up that my "official" weigh in might not be so good.  But, it is a double edged sword.  You really have to be able to not let the number get to you - both positive or negative numbers.  If I see I've gained, or not lost as much as I think I should, I try to make that motivate me to try even harder.  If I see I've lost, I also use that to motivate me to stay on track and lose even more.  My head doesn't always agree.

I am very happy about the scale right now. If I can maintain this loss, it puts me a couple weeks ahead of my goal, and it gives me some wiggle room for when (not if) I have a bad week.  I still have such  long way to go.  I still am looking forward to fitting back into my clothes - some are getting a little better, but most still have a long way.  I am looking forward to not having my thighs rub together, and that's probably not going to happen for months.  But, for now, I've met one of my early goals for the scale - the first 10#, and I'm really excited about the next 10, which will be much more noticible to me and my friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment